HealthHealth CareMen's MagazineOthersWomen's Magazine

Is it safe to remove the mold from your bread and eat it?

We have all done this even though we seldom want to tell about it. You check the bread drawer, you take two slices of bread for a sandwich and there you find it, on the surface of your bread, a small circle of mold.

The dinner killer! Still who cares, it is just a small bit,
I will remove it and eat the good part, what is the worst that could happen? I’m not going to let a small mold spot waste a whole slice of bread.

So, if you’ve done this, you might want to rethink for the future, since the USDA urges people to throw away the whole loaf of bread at the earliest signs of mold, regardless of how big or small the loaf is. Even though we understand we are wasting food, regrettably, it is not safe to have bread, even with the smallest bit of mold.

The latest studies have revealed that mold has elongated, threadlike roots which invade the whole food where they grow, not only the surface. Mold is a sort of microscopic fungi which survives on organic matter.

It is calculated that there are over 300,000 different kinds of fungi, most of them are thread-like types and produce spores which can be quickly dispersed in air or water or by pests.

Some mold is quite safe to have and, in some other cases, even good, for instance, the cheeses made with molds, like Brie, blue, Gorgonzola and Camembert. Other types of molds could be pretty toxic and may generate respiratory problems and allergic reactions in your body, or create dangerous materials named mycotoxins.

Is it safe to remove the mold from your bread and eat it

Back to top button