Weight loss surgeries are the final solution you can resort to if you have really had it with weight loss diets and working out. The Adjustable Gastric Band weight loss surgery, which is often called the band, is one of the most popular weight loss surgeries. Here, you will learn all about it if you are considering it.
In this surgery, an inflatable band is placed around the upper part of the stomach, creating a small stomach pouch above the band, while the remaining part of the stomach below the band. With a smaller stomach space, eating just a small amount of food will give a feeling of fullness and reduce hunger. Feeling full depends upon the size of the opening between the pouch and the remaining part of the stomach created by the gastric band. Just by filling the band with sterile saline, the size of the stomach opening can be adjusted with a port placed under the skin.
Why you should do it
– It reduces the quantity of food the stomach can hold
– Makes you lose weight by 40 – 50 percent
– No drastic surgical measures or procedures such as rerouting of the intestines or cutting of the stomach
– Needs a short hospital stay, usually less than a day, and some surgeons even discharge the patient the same day as surgery
– Can be reversed and adjusted
– Very low complications rate and nutrient deficiencies compared to other weight loss surgeries
Why you shouldn’t do it
– weight loss rate is slower and less early than other surgical weight loss procedures
– Most of the patients fail to lose at least 50 percent of excess body weight compared to the other weight loss surgeries usually performed
– It needs a foreign device to be put inside the body
– a small percentage of patients suffered from band slippage or band erosion in the stomach.