Fact or Myth: Exposing the Reality of Negative Calorie Food

The ability of eating and burning calories at the same time is the dream of anyone who wishes to drop some pounds. This is the concept behind negative calorie food, food which makes you burn calories more than it contains through its digestion, but can this be legit?

The term negative calorie food is often associated with foods that are rich with fiber and water content such as cucumber and celery. These vegetables do contain calories but they are so low and are allegedly burned along with extra calories through the digestion of these foods.

Although this is a promising solution to get rid of calories because all you would have to do is eat a negative calorie food to lose weight, sadly this isn’t true. There is no scientific evidence behind the potential of certain foods to encourage such kind of metabolism.

Adding low calorie food with rich fiber and water content is great when eaten instead of eating empty calories. Some low calorie foods are even very nutritious such as lemons and grapefruits which are loaded with vitamin C. However, eating too much of anything adds calories to your body.

That is because the body uses only 10% of your calorie intake to digest and absorb nutrients. That means you will be left with the other 90% and you either burn them with activities or leave them to contribute to your weight gain.

90% of low calorie food is certainly better than 90% of high calorie food, but the amount should not be neglected if you are counting calories in your diet. Moderation is recommended in anything you consume, because even extra water can be poisonous sometimes. Finally, whenever you hear similar diet myths, remember that there is no magic recipe for weight loss, all you need is determination to stay away from carbohydrates and saturated fats, and to stay active.

Fact or Myth Exposing the Reality of Negative Calorie Food

Back to top button