After giving birth, gaining pounds is a common problem among all moms. You may rush into diets and weight loss methods. However, during lactation, you and your child are in need of important nutrients and energy. Here’s a list of the top foods for new moms.
7. Water : During breastfeeding, you are prone to dehydration. Therefore, you must sustain your own fluid requirements as well as producing high quality milk. Make sure to get sufficient amounts of water, juice, or milk. Try to stay away from tea, coffee and other caffeinated drinks.
6. Salmon : Salmon is the best source of power for new moms. It’s also rich in DHA fat which is just right for your newborn’s nervous system. DHA plays another role in assisting a nursing mom’s mood swings. Nonetheless, it’s recommended to limit its intake to protect your child from mercury.
5. Brown Rice : Even though you might feel like cutting down carbohydrates from your diet, breastfeeding moms are in need of energy the whole time. Brown rice is the perfect choice to balance both needs.
4. Low-fat Dairy Products : Lactating milk is packed with calcium for the development of your baby’s bones. You could gain that much calcium through dairy products like milk, yoghurt and cheese which are also rich in Vitamin B, D and proteins.
2. Leafy Greens : Spinach, broccoli and other leafy greens are loaded in vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, iron and antioxidants. They are also low in calories just like you need.
1. Whole-wheat Bread : You have to include whole-wheat breads and pasta in your diet. Folic acid is not only essential for your baby’s development during pregnancy but also during lactation for your health and your child’s well-being.