When your heels crack, know that you’ve got a serious dry skin issue. Cracked heels need to be moisture fast to prevent pain, bleeding and infection. First of all you should remove the dry skin layers on the heel (callus) either manually or chemically.
The main key for treating cracked heels is moisturizing. Cracks happen for one main reason: the skin on your heels is too dry to support the pressure on them. So when the foot expands… your heels just split. The best possible treatment for cracked heels is to get some moisture back in those feet instantly.
It is not about good-looking-feet, cracked heels can be a serious foot problem as it might catch infection. To keep infection out, some deep cracks might need to be treated by medical glue to seal the cracks closed.
How to keep your heels crack-free?
• Invest in a good foot cream. Look for heaving moisturizing creams or oils to rub into your feet. For the best absorption, use it after showering/bathing.
• Drink plenty of water. Drink a lot of water to help hydrate your skin. Dry skin causes cracks.
• Gentle soaps. It is important to keep your cracked heels clean and dry, but harsh soap can worsen the case. Use a mild cleanser that won’t strip moisture out of your feet.
• Keep water lukewarm. Instead of bathing or showering with hot water, keep water a little cooler. Very hot water will dry out your skin.
• Don’t scrub your feet. Rubbing your feet with washcloth or towel will only dry them out. Gently pat your skin clean and dry instead.
• Keeping a healthy diet. Eat plenty of vegetables and fruits which will enrich your skin and keeping a healthy skin is vital for healthy crack-free heels.