While the cause of hiccups remains unknown, we all agree it’s the most embarrassing, not to mention annoying, incident that happens to us from time to time. Other than applying slight pressure or drinking water, the following are some strange ways to get rid of a hiccup.
1. Inhale deeply and stay like that for a while as your diaphragm relaxes then exhale.
2. Eat a tablespoon of peanut butter.
3. Place your fingers in your ears or pinch the spot behind your ear lopes for about 20 to 30 seconds.
4. Stick your tongue out.
5. Babies too can experience hiccups if they swallow too much air. Just like you would act for burping, left your baby on your shoulder and gently pat his back.
6. Cup your nose and mouth with your hands to breathe in more carbon dioxide. The carbon dioxide relaxes your diaphragm.
7. Drink 10 fast mouthful sips of water in a row.
8. Cover your glass with a paper towel and drink through the paper towel. You will work your diaphragm harder to suck your drink.
9. Swallow a tablespoon of honey or sugar stirred in warm water from the back of your tongue.
10. Drink a teaspoon of cider vinegar or eat a pickle.
11. Suck on lemon.
12. Take a deep breath then exhale deeply with an assistant’s fist pressing gently on the area beneath your breastbone.
13. Press your thumb on the palm of the other hand or between your thumb and index of the other hand.
14. Stay away from cold beer and carbonated soda drinks.
15. Eat slowly. You swallow a big amount of air if you eat fast.
16. Some medications cause hiccups. If you notice your hiccup is from a certain medication, check with your doctor for an alternative.
17. Block your ears with your fingers and drink water through a straw.