Hummus is a delicious creamy paste that is rich with flavors and health benefits as well, this heart capturing creamy dip is originated from the middle east, it is prepared by mixing a variety of ingredients, hummus is primarily made up of chickpeas or also known as garbanzo beans which are very rich in protein and very low in calories, beside chickpeas tahini is another main ingredient to prepare hummus, tahini is a sesame seed paste it is very similar to peanut butter, tahini is used in small amount just to flavor as it has a very strong taste, other main ingredients in hummus include lemon, olive oil and crushed garlic. Below we will take a look at the amazing health benefits of hummus so you can start adding it to your regular diet right away.
Chickpeas is the primary ingredient in the hummus dip, so most of the health benefits of hummus is linked to chick peas, chick peas is a tasty and favorite legumes, it can work as a perfect substitute for meats as they are very rich with protein, let us check out more health benefits of chick peas.
– chick peas is very low in calories, one cup of chickpeas contain just above 200 calories and only 5 g of fat, although very low in calories it is very
– chickpeas don’t contain any saturated fats or cholesterol.
– chickpeas are very rich with fiber and it is a perfect choice for diabetics as it can maintain a regular blood sugar for long times.
– the high fiber content in chickpeas improve the functionality of the digestive system and prevent constipation.
– chickpeas are rich with many vitamins specially vitamin B and folic acid which plays a crucial role during pregnancy in the normal development of the nerve system of the fetus.
– chickpeas also contain many important minerals such as copper, iron, manganese, zinc and magnesium.
Tahini is a paste made from grounded sesame seeds, it is high in calories, one tablespoon contain 90 calories, however most of its fat content is unsaturated and it is used in just small amounts when preparing hummus just to flavor.
– tahini is an excellent source of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids that our bodies can’t produce naturally and they are very important for the development of the brain, improving the immune system and reducing cholesterol.
– tahini is rich with many vitamins and particularly vitamin B1, B2, B3, B5 and B15 that are very important for the nerve system and the rest of the body systems.
– tahini is also a perfect source of calcium, one table spoon provide you with 64 mg of calcium and 12% of your daily recommended intake of phosphorus.
Another important ingredient to prepare hummus is olive oil, olive oil is a good source of monounsaturated fats that reduce bad cholesterol and prevent heart diseases.
In hummus garlic is crushed fresh which maintain its many health benefits at high levels, garlic is an excellent natural antibiotic, it contains antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties that are important to prevent many diseases and infections.
We hope that you found this article helpful, from now on feel free to indulge and include hummus in your daily diet and snacks, it is healthy, filling and low in calories..