I was in high school the first time I’ve ever heard about grapefruit diet trend and how it melts calories away off your waistline. I remember hating to drink the tangy juice of that fruit and snacking secretly on whatever it is that can ruin the toughest of weight loss diets. However, it seems like this diet has made a comeback these recent years. Therefore, I will explain how this diet goes and what it can really do.
The meals are something along these lines:
– For breakfast, you can have two hard boiled eggs, 8 ounces of grapefruit juice or 1/2 grapefruit and two slices of bacon.
– For lunch, you can have a salad with dressing, the type of dressing is left to your choice (but it is meaningless to apply such a diet and then choose some fat-rich dressing!), any type of meat in any quantity, and then more grapefruit, about half a grapefruit or 8 ounces of grapefruit juice
– Before going to bed, have half a cup of Greek yogurt and 8 ounces of skim milk.
I have noticed some things for this diet:
– It is the grapefruit version of Atkins diet, mainly no carbs what so ever and loads of protein and meat.
– It can be costly. I really don’t know who could afford – or have the patience – to buy and cook so much meat on a daily basis.
– Unless it is grapefruit, you can’t have any fruits in this diet.
Here is my conclusion about this diet. It DOES make you lose weight, and that is only because you give up carbs altogether, NOT because of the grapefruit. Such a diet is applicable for a week or two at most. Any more than that and you’ll have nightmares about grapefruit.