Pumpkin is not only delicious but it is an underrated super food, and here are the reasons why:
– It contains fiber; a cup of mashed pumpkin has up to 3g of fiber. First, having pumpkin in your diet consistently sets you up on the right path to get your fiber needs. Secondly, eating pumpkin helps you feel fuller for longer as it increases satiation by regulating blood sugar levels and slowing down digestion.
– It helps you unwind and doze off to sleep; pumpkin is rich in the amino acid trytophan, which gets converted to serotonin or the feel good neurotransmitter, and this explains the post Thanksgiving sleepiness.
– It increases the prostate health; pumpkin seeds should be in every man’s diet for protection from prostate cancer which is one of the most common types of cancer. Several studies have implicated less zinc in prostate malignancy, and according to research pumpkin can contribute to the prevention of prostate cancer because it is rich in zinc.
– It is rich in magnesium that aids in many physiological functions like muscle growth, regulating bowel movement, relaxation of the nervous system and the creation of ATP (the energy molecules of your body). 30% of your daily magnesium requirements can be delivered by just 1 oz. of pumpkin seeds.
– It has antioxidant benefits; the body converts beta carotene into vitamin A, which is a powerful antioxidant known for its ability to fend off cancer. Beta carotene plays a role in boosting the immune system, helping to keep the reproductive system healthy and protecting cells, so get some pumpkin in your life.