Most women get 11 to 13 menstruation periods every year, however some women can have more or fewer periods as long as it is normal for you and menstruation occurs every regular periods of time then you shouldn’t be worried.
At the beginning of menstruation, periods may be irregular or even sometimes absent, it could take your body a few months or even years to reach to a balance in the menstruation regulating hormones.
On the other hand menstruation may be very irregular at the end of the menstruation years, many women realize that they are approaching menopause when their regular periods start getting irregular. Usually menopause starts twelve months after you get the last period.
Pregnancy is the most common cause for missed periods, if you were planning for pregnancy, treat yourself as if you are pregnantuntil you make sure whether or not you really are, a home pregnancy test can be the first step to knowing for sure.
If you are not pregnant other causes for missed or irregular periods include:-
– Excessive weight gain or loss, however low body weight is more likely to cause menstruation irregularities, but also obesity can cause menstruation problems.
– Eating Disorders such as anorexia or bulimia.
– Emotional stress.
– Increased exercise, irregular menstruation often occurs in endurance athletes.
– The usage of birth control methods which can cause lighter or less occurred menstruations or no periods at all.
– Hormonal imbalances which can change the levels of hormones needed to support menstruation.
– Using illegal drugs.
– Breast feeding, many breast feeding mothers don’t resume regular periods before they completely finish breast feeding.
– Just starting a sexually active life.
– Premature ovarian failure which occurs before the age of 40 chemotherapy, radiation or surgeries to the abdomen can cause premature ovarian failure.
– Other diseases such as irritable bowel syndrome, liver diseases, diabetes and thyroid problems can be the reason for irregular or missed periods, however if any of these diseases are present then you will highly likely experience other symptoms than missed or irregular periods.
– Missing your period once every now and then relax, this shouldn’t be a source of worry, many women miss a period here and there, restoring your life to a physical and emotional balance can help in regulating your periods.