When you see a doctor, your body temperature is usually one of the most important signs a doctor would first check. Normal body temperature ranges from 97.8 to 99 degrees F. What you might not know is that your body temperature varies from one situation to another. Learn more about that from the following situations:
1. Your Nose Heats Up When You Lie : We all grew up to Pinocchio’s story; the wooden puppet whose nose grows when he lies. Researchers were able to relate anxiety from lying to a rise in temperature on the nose. They ripped off the name of their findings “Pinocchio Effect” from the puppet.
2. Body Temperature Identifies the Time of Death : When someone dies, their temperature decreases by a constant rate per hour. This system helps in determining the time of death of a body left in room temperature to some extent of accuracy.
3. Fever is a Good Sign : You get a fever when your body temperature gets higher than normal. Although it has its side effects, a rise in body temperature is a brilliant sign that your body is working well to fight off infection. There’s no reason to panic unless the fever remains for more than a few days.
4. Smoking Raises Body Temperature : As you suck in hot smoke, the smoke eventually reaches your lungs heating it up. Your lungs, at a temperature higher than normal, fail to carry out its job of ridding off excessive heat.
5. You Grow Colder As You Grow : It’s important to know that as you grow older, your normal body temperature gradually drops. That fact has to be taken in considerations as elders may develop fevers at degrees lower than what we are responsive to.
6. Keeping Cool Aids Sleeping : If you think you suffer from insomnia, make your surroundings cooler as you sleep. Studies have shown that as your body temperature lowers, your sleep becomes more comfortable.